In August of 2001, Zubaida, a 9 year old girl from Afganistan, was pouring kerosene into an indoor home cooking stove while it was hot. The fuel ignited and she caught on fire. She sustained burns to her face, neck, chest and arms. When the fire was extinguished, her father took her to a nearby medical provider where she was given ointments. As her condition worsened, her father decided to travel to Iran for treatment. The doctors there suggested to take her home to die. Zubaida did not die, but her injuries resulted in horrible disfigurement, severe functional impairment and a crippled self-esteem.