MEDizzy
Sign in
Andy Wells
Andy Wells4 months ago
Severe allergic reaction caused by chocolate!

Severe allergic reaction caused by chocolate!

This is a case of allergic hemiglossitis. Hemiglossitis is a rare form of allergic reaction. It is a vesicular eruption on one side of the tongue and the corresponding inner surface of the cheek. This unique case was caused by a topical food allergy and the patient presented with unilateral swelling of the tongue with blisters and ulceration after eating mint chocolate! 🍫 Luckily for the patient, the swelling did not compromise the airway. The patient had no shortness of breath but the swelling in her mouth was painful and caused her moderate difficulty swallowing. The patient suffered loss of taste on the affected side, but the right-hand side of the tongue was completely normal. Tongue movement was normal apart from mild restriction caused by the swelling. The patient did tell ER staff that she remembered having a previous allergic reaction to mint chocolate but chose to eat the mint chocolate despite the previous allergy. The allergic reaction responded well to steroids and oral chlorphenamine treatment and the patient made a full recovery. Her three-month follow-up only revealed minimal scar formations on her tongue.

36
Other commentsSign in to post comments. Don't have an account? Sign up now!
4 months ago

What exactly in the chocolate is she allergic to?

4 months ago

Probably mint since its specified?