A university student says she thought she might die after she had a severe allergic reaction to a hair dye that caused her head to swell enormously. She bought a hair color dye in a supermarket so she could change the color from blonde to brunette. She got concerned a few hours after she applied the dye to her scalp, when it started to itch. Not thinking too much about it, she went to the pharmacist to get some cream to deal with the irritation—but the worst was yet to come.
Two days later, she looked in the mirror and was shocked by what she saw. Her head had swollen beyond recognition.
She was rushed to the hospital where doctors found she had an allergic reaction to paraphenylenediamine (PPD,) a compound found in 90 percent of hair dyes and known to carry allergic risks. After treatment the swelling eventually went down and her face went back to normal.